Smell the Daisies

Monday, July 03, 2006

I'm single. No, I'm not announcing that so you'll look me up or anything. It's merely a fact. One I'm quite content with at this point in my life. My best friend was just married, and someone commented that I ought to be careful about being a bridesmaid too many times. You know the saying, “always a bridesmaid, never a bride.” Well, I do appreciate the concern, but as I've told many people, I'm having a great time being single, and I will remain so until I meet the man that I can enjoy living with even more than I enjoy being single. I want marital bliss, not a marital mishap.

I crossed six time zones on Thursday/Friday, and my sleeping schedule hasn't quite adapted. So, this morning, I gave up trying to sleep at 1:00am. It's actually one of the best things I could have done! It's a little after 3:00am as I write this (having no internet in my home, I'll have to post it later) and I've spent the last two hours reading and praying. And I'm still wide awake, so I'll keep doing this, with a break for a morning run, until it's time to get ready for work! In my reading, I've been catching up in my devotional books. I've been doing a lot of travel, and I usually don't take the space to pack all three of my devotional books along with my Bible and journal. So, I've gotten quite behind. The thought that inspired this particular entry was written for the 30th of May. It comes from the devotional Sanctuary by David Jeremiah, and is entitled “Single Peace.” It's not the most profound page I have ever read, but it's beautiful and true in it's simplicity. That's why I'd like to share it. Maybe you're not single, but it doesn't only apply to looking for a mate. It applies to any search or desire that fills your life and distracts from God. I won't retype the whole thing, just the last three paragraphs.

“Seeking marriage is not wrong, but don't let that search dominate your life. We must not make finding a marriage partner the supreme goal of our lives by putting all our energies into searching fore a mate. We must learn to be in God's will. A very wise person said, “There is something far worse than single loneliness, and that is marital misery.” Learn contentment for it is great gain.

“If God has a mate for you, He knows how to bring the two of you together. Don't take things into your own hands.

“Wherever you are, whatever your situation, use the time to grow both mentally and spiritually.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home