Smell the Daisies

Thursday, July 13, 2006

On flirting...

I'm not a natural when it comes to flirting. I can flirt back, usually, but that's about the extent of it. Every so often, though, I forget this fact, and make an effort even so. Last Saturday night was one of those times.

I attended a convention in England, and while there, we had a gala dinner. It was a posh evening, with fancy dishes, friendly chit-chat and silly entertainment. Very much like every other gala in many ways, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless. Soon after I sat down at my place, I noticed one of the men working there, manning the drink station (I would say bar, but it was completely non-alcoholic in this case, so I don't want to send the wrong impression). You know how it is, sometimes a person will catch your eye, and you'll ponder ways to talk to that person. Well, I was with a friend, and I mentioned him to her. I'm sure you also know how that is. She, of course, egged me on.

Well, I saw him going around and pouring juice, etc. into some people's glasses. So, with a little nudging from my friend, I went over to him while he was behind the bar and asked for a glass of pineapple juice. Then, of course, my courage left me, and I said nothing more as he dropped in some ice and poured the juice into the glass. He smiled, set it on the bar, and said “1.60.”

Well, my heart jerked at that. No, his voice wasn't so stunning. I simply had never considered the idea that it might cost something. I assumed everything was included in the dinner. It would explain, of course, why he didn't come around to all the tables to offer.

Well, I had no money, of course. I fumbled for what I could do, and looked and felt quite silly. He was a gentleman and told me not to worry about it. I apologized and thanked him, then turned away, red-faced, to return to my table.

So, again, I am reminded that, in my case, it's better to just smile and let the guy do the approaching. However, the experience wasn't so bad all around. It did give me another reason to laugh (always a good thing, even when it's at myself) and a free glass of pineapple juice (never something to complain about).

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home