Smell the Daisies

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bravo Italia

I'm sure every other blog has already commented on the game. But, since I have been in England, and not had a chance to get online since it took place, mine is coming a little late.

The World Cup Final this year was the first football (real football, not the American sport) match I ever watched in entirety (on screen, that is). And I enjoyed it! I was rooting for Italy. My condolences to all of you who sided with the French. To my untrained eye, I thought both sides played well! I cheered for the Italians, only because I watched it with many Europeans, and the Italian cheering section was more in need of voices than the French. As I watched, though, I became more attached to the Italian team! They were more fun to watch. At the beginning, at least, they were more smooth with their feet, and tended to keep the ball closer to the French goal. They seemed a little more tired after halftime.

I could comment on some of the calls and the goals, but since that's been done over and over, I won't. Not even to discuss the headbutt. I just want to mention something that impressed me about the Italians. From my vantage point, many of them practiced great sportsmanship. No, not all of them, but many. I saw an Italian reach down to help up his opponent at least three times. Also, they didn't seem malicious in their play. As a general rule, it was not the Italians who were grabbing faces, etc. They are not perfect, that's for sure, but I appreciated their overall sportsmanship. So, my congratulations to Italy!

And, I must send my condolences to France. I wish both teams could have won, for both were amazing teams! I cheered when Italy won, but a part of me was sad for the dashed dreams of France. So, rock on, France! You've won before, and you will again.

Good game, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home